Senate Bill 183 requires any house with a fossil-fuel burning appliance, fireplace or attached garage to install a carbon monoxide detector. The intent of the new law is to protect against the loss of life and injury. Each year in California, more than 40 people die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Carbon monoxide is referred to as the silent killer because it’s an odorless and colorless gas,” said Oakley Building Official Brent Smith. “These deaths are entirely preventable. With the purchase of a $20 to $30 carbon monoxide detector, you can ensure that the carbon monoxide would be detected prior to the build-up of dangerous levels.
“The law takes effect July, 2011 but people should think of installing them now. This is the time of year we are not opening our windows and allowing fresh air in the house, and it’s also the time of year that we typically run our heaters more.”
Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and easy to install – you can purchase and install them in less than an hour. Smith said carbon monoxide detectors should be placed at least five feet above the ground adjacent to sleeping rooms on each level of the house.
For more information about how to protect your house, call the Oakley Building Division at 925-625-7005.