Watchful neighbors and community involvement have helped the Antioch Police Department apprehend criminals committing residential burglaries. In recent days, several burglaries have been thwarted by caring and watchful neighbors reporting suspicious activity. Neighbors have also provided descriptions of the criminals after a burglary was committed, and their diligent reporting was instrumental in the burglar’s apprehension.
Burglars view the holiday season as an opportunity to invade your house and steal your property, which in many cases includes gifts. Houses with openly displayed Christmas trees easily visible from the street are tempting targets, as are houses where discarded gift boxes are piled up after the holiday. The burglars appreciate knowing which targets have expensive gifts inside to steal. Break down those boxes down or cut them up prior to disposal.
You probably have thousands of things on your mind during the busy holiday season. Remember to stay alert to your surroundings, especially when shopping
• Park in areas providing adequate lighting.
• Plan group shopping trips.
• Don’t put purchases inside the passenger compartment of your vehicle – put them in the trunk.
• Don’t carry lots of parcels and large amounts of cash.
• Be on the lookout for strangers approaching you for any reason. Con artists are experts at clever methods of distraction.
– Submitted by Antioch Police Department