1) What should people know about you as an individual?
I am married with six kids. I retired from the U.S. Air Force Reserve after 21 years. I am a retired Oakland police sergeant. I have a B.S. in Administration of Justice and a Master of Public Administration with a concentration in Public Management. I am currently a private investigator, with my business located in Brentwood.
2) What is the number-one issue or challenge facing Brentwood and what needs to be done about it?
Public safety. Our department is understaffed by at least 14 officers. The city council put in place an ordinance that put the staffing level at 1.5 officers per 1,000 residents; at the present time, we are at 1.2. To properly protect the citizens of Brentwood, we need to be at the 1.5 staffing level.
3) What is the second most important issue or challenge and what needs to be done about it?
The city hall and downtown revitalization project. This project is going to define the city of Brentwood. The present city hall and civic center are substandard. The cost of the project is of major concern; however, it is a project that is needed. If we wait, the cost will go up. If we complete only part of the project, then we disrupt the downtown businesses each time we start and stop the project. If businesses do not think downtown will be revitalized, they will not come or stay.
4.) What is your position on the new downtown Civic Center? What parts of the project, if any, do you think should be changed?
See above response.
5) Please comment on the adequacy of police and fire services in Brentwood. If changes are called for, how should they be paid for?
Both police and fire services are inadequate. Fire should be under ConFire and the process has been started and the police department needs to be staffed at the level prescribed by ordinance. Some of the funding for this can be done through grants, while other funding may have to go to the voters.
6) Concern about deteriorating neighborhoods led to this year's new Rental Inspection Program. Do you think the program properly addresses the concerns it was designed to address, or should more or less be done?
The program is a needed program; however, the frequency of inspections should be adjusted. At the present time, an inspection takes place every two years. I believe once a year is more appropriate to coincide with the business license application year. The Business Tax Ordinance should also be renewed ASAP.
7) Why should people vote for you?
I can move Brentwood forward and get things done. My experience as a private investigator, in law enforcement and the military gives me the dedication, responsibility and leadership ability to necessary to guide Brentwood into the future.