The Yes on Measure F folks have led us all down the rabbit hole when it comes to the City of Antioch just waiting to initiate a land grab if Measure F fails on June 8. Here are at least six reasons why this scare tactic is false:
• The area is under Brentwood’s Sphere of Influence (SOI) and not Antioch’s.
• Antioch has no interest and no resources to petition LAFCO to change the current SOI.
• There is a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the two cities that agrees to Brentwood’s SOI.
• In 2008, LAFCO conducted a mandated Municipal Service Review (MSR) that included Brentwood. The MSR is conducted every five years and will not be completed again until 2013.
• The MSR analysis did not recommend any changes to this particular parcel and concluded that Brentwood’s General Plan for this area was consistent with land use designations.
• LAFCO stated that Brentwood would continue to provide services within its boundary and Sphere of Influence.
So why would Antioch want to go through the expensive process of changing the status quo?
Antioch has no interest based on the MOU with Brentwood.
Antioch would have to provide services to the area, which would be expensive.
The process to change this area to Antioch’s SOI would take years of time through public planning processes and environmental impact studies.
LAFCO has no intention of changing the SOI from Brentwood to Antioch.
There are certainly other false claims and innuendo that have been mentioned in the constant media blitz by the developer-led Yes on F folks. This is just one. Don’t let the “Antioch Land Grab” fantasy fool you. Vote No on Measure F.
George C. Hackett, Brentwood