Not only do picnics allow you to take advantage of the warm weather; they offer a fun way to shake up the family mealtime and provide an opportunity to reunite with friends and family when school is out of session.
The key ingredients to the perfect picnic begin with the preparation. Taking the time to select the perfect location, plan a tasty menu and arrange fun games and activities in advance will surely pay off. Here are some simple tips for hosting a great outdoor gathering that are simple to remember because they follow the theme of your event: P-I-C-N-I-C.
• Pick a theme. Does your family have a favorite sports team? Are you honoring a recent graduate? Look around your home and find items that give your event that something special. Display a photo of you donned in a cap and gown, alongside graduation photos of other attending family and friends. For sports-themed events, bring along old team jerseys and blankets with colors that correspond to your favorite sports team.
• Identify the location. Chose a spot with a wide-open space for activities and dining, ideally one with easy access to parking and public restrooms. Make sure there are trees nearby that provide plenty of shade, as keeping your guests comfortable is key to keeping them happy.
• Cool it down. Be prepared for some fun in the sun with sunscreen and hats, but also help guests keep cool by providing umbrellas and tents for shade. For an extra fresh reprieve from the heat, store spray water bottles (as well as bug spray) in your cooler for a personal self-misting station for guests.
• Nail down a menu and keep it simple. Think finger-friendly, prep-ahead items such as mini, individually-wrapped sandwiches. Or cut up seasonal veggies in advance – pack them in GladWare Snack Size Containers and let the kids mix and match to make their own personal salads.
• Impress your guests. Take your picnic to the next level with fold-and-go seating, table linens and over-sized pillows to give your outdoor event the comfortable appeal of an indoor affair.
• Create some fun. Bring portable speakers and your favorite summer playlist and set up an easy-to-assemble volleyball net. Or how about channeling your inner actor with a game of charades? Make sure there are activities everyone can enjoy and your picnic will go off without a hitch.
– Courtesy of Family Features