The Brentwood City Council recently finalized the municipality’s five-year infrastructure and capital planning needs.

The 166-page Capital Improvement Program document (CIP) lays out 66 city projects, 15 future improvement projects and 38 development improvement projects, totaling $230,698,269 for city projects.

“The city’s Capital Improvement Program plans and provides for amenities and infrastructure core to this quality of life,” said Brentwood City Manager Gus Vina.

Select priority projects tie into the city’s two-year strategic plan approved earlier this year. The projects include building a fire station at Shady Willow, constructing a nonpotable water distribution system and two nonpotable water storage facilities, completing a community build-out plan and creating a Brentwood Business Development Center.

All other projects unrelated to the strategic plan support the city’s mission statement of bringing Brentwood’s vision to reality, according to the document.

A handful of those projects include: building a 15,000-square-foot municipal service center at the public works corporation yard; expanding the wastewater treatment plant; installing at least four monuments at city entry points to improve the town’s identity; and expanding John Muir Parkway from Foothill Drive to Briones Valley Road.

“The preparation of the CIP is a collaborative effort between staff from all departments,” said Sonia Agostini, city accountant. “It began many months ago, and it has culminated in the document.”

The 7,000-square-foot fire station is planned for the northwest corner of Grant Street and Shady Willow Lane. Its $6,545,397 price tag will be covered using fire development impact fees.

Fire Board member Joe Young said the district hopes to determine how to staff the station during its strategic planning process.

The strategic plan will identify where, when and how much it will cost to staff for each additional station,” Young said. “The strategic plan will also address funding options for these service improvements.”

Meanwhile, the nonpotable water distribution system, which will provide reclaimed water to irrigate golf courses, parks, parkways, medians and other areas, will target Fairview Avenue from Grant Street to Balfour Road, and Sand Creek Road from Fairview Avenue to Brentwood Boulevard, where parks and public landscaping are currently irrigated using potable water.

State and federal grants will fund 35 percent of the $5 million project, and a loan will cover the remaining 65 percent.

“Construction of nonpotable water storage and distribution infrastructure is consistent with the state and city’s effort to promote water recycling for a more sustainable and resilient future,” said Public Works Director Miki Tsubota. “In particular, our projects are part of an ongoing effort to irrigate more of our existing public landscaping with nonpotable water instead of potable water."

The business development center is expected to encompass a co-working space for collaboration and training for the growing number of local entrepreneurs and small-business owners.

The municipal service center, a public works staff operations building, will include work areas, a locker room for crews and storage.

The center is expected to increase operational efficiency by consolidating maintenance functions and streamlining operations, according to the document.

A blend of development impact fees, enterprise funds and bond proceeds will cover the project’s $7,604,480 price tag.

To view the complete plan, visit https://goo.gl/jGtPXi.

0
0
0
0
0

Associate Editor