A generator left unattended caused a fire aboard a boat in Oakley on Sunday night. The 45’ cabin cruiser was docked off the 2600 block of Dutch Slough Road at the time of the incident.
According to East Contra Costa Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Brian Helmick, the owner was running a generator in the boat’s bow and left it unattended for a short time to run an errand. The fire broke out while he was away.
The fire was reported at 6:05 p.m. after neighbors noticed the smoke coming from the boat. A witness said that neighbors extinguished the flames using buckets and hoses.
Two parakeets were on the boat when the fire broke out. One bird perished while the other appears to have recovered after a firefighter attached an oxygen supply to the bird’s cage.
Helmick confirmed that the fire was out when ECCFPD crews from stations 93 and 94 arrived, though there was a significant amount of smoke still present. Firefighters searched the boat and ventilated the smoke. Their investigation confirmed the generator as the source of the fire.